Crispy golden cubes of fried tofu in a creamy and savory sauce served in a sizzling plate. This is my take on sizzling tofu aka as tofu sisig, one of Max’s (the house that fried chicken built) most popular offerings, second only to their signature fried chicken. It is so easy to prepare but so impressive to present as an appetizer or bar chow, or as a side dish to, what else but, fried chicken.
My husband loved tofu any how it’s cooked. I can’t remember any time that he passed on it. He ate it con gusto, especially in his twilight years when he tried to eat healthier. Our son imbibed this liking for tofu. Sizzling tofu is one of their favorite dishes at Max’s.
Sizzling Tofu à la Max’s
- 1 500 g block tofu, cubed
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. liquid seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tsp. kalamansî juice
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion minced and divided
- 1 Tbsp. minced red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp. minced green bell pepper
- 1 kalamansî sliced
- 1 siling habâ finger chile, sliced diagonally (optional)
- 1 siling labuyo bird’s eye chile, sliced (optional)
- Dredge tofu in cornstarch. Preheat a skillet, add vegetable oil and heat until it shimmers and swirls at the bottom. Fry tofu until crisp and golden brown, drain on paper towels. Remove vegetable oil from the skillet; reserve 1 tablespoon.
- Combine mayonnaise, sugar, liquid seasoning, oyster sauce, and kalamansi juice in the skillet over low heat. Add fried tofu, toss until coated evenly.
- Preheat a sizzling plate over high heat. Add the reserved vegetable oil and the butter. Sauté garlic, half of the onion, and the bell peppers. Add tofu mixture, toss well. Garnish with the kalamansî, chiles and remaining onion.
- Serve hot on the sizzling plate. Serve as appetizer or bar chow, or as a side dish to fried chicken.