Texas Chicken Barbecue
This recipe comes from a barbecue expert from Texas and hundreds of people have said this is the finest sauce they have ever tasted. I love it because it is not sweet.
- 1 c water
- ½ t black pepper freshly ground
- 4 T brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 2 t salt
- 1 c cider vinegar
- 5 oz Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce divided
- juice of 4 lemons
- 4 T butter
- For the Barbecue:
- 1 k chicken cut into serving pieces
* Serve with a White Zinfandel.
* Make the sauce in a larger quantity than you need for a single barbecue. By omitting the butter, the sauce will keep for weeks in the fridge. When ready to use, heat slowly with the butter.
* The sauce may be used for pork as well. Omit the butter.
* Balsamic or cane vinegar may be used instead of cider vinegar. Paombong vinegar is not recommended as a substitute as it will give the dish a distinctly Filipino flavor—what we want here is a Dixie flavor.